Freewheel Cycle is pleased to offer a variety of weekly shop rides in the warm season and a number of special events throughout the year. With 4 different weekly rides, there’s a shop ride for everyone. And the best part: they’re free! Just sign the online event waiver, grab your helmet and bike and come ride with us! Online waivers may be found on our Facebook page, and are specific to each ride event.
To get all the details, follow our events on Facebook or our calendar below.
With mountain bike rides every Tuesday evening starting in April, and a myriad of women’s specific events along the way, our “Dirt Girls” are always up to something fun.
Led by Mari Evans and Melanie Poel, both Trek Women’s Advocates and PMBI certified instructors, these weekly group rides are for beginner/intermediate women with a focus on skills progression, improving fitness, mutual support, camaraderie and falling in love with the sport.
The weekly adventures take advantage of the area’s diverse trail systems; carpooling to Kelso, Puslinch, Red Hill Valley, Waterdown, Halton Agreement Forest or simply riding out from the shop into the Dundas Valley.
Our women’s cycling program also includes weekend rides at destinations farther afield with other women’s mtb groups, as well as biking and maintenance clinics designed specifically to empower women both on and off the bike.
Follow the Dirt Girls’ adventures on our Instagram and Facebook feed and get ready to join in the fun!
For those of the skinny tire persuasion, we have group road rides that roll out every Wednesday at 6pm sharp. These no-drop rides stay together as a group for the entirety of the ride, working at a pace of 20-25km/hr and covering 30-45 kilometres. This is an excellent way to increase fitness, gain experience riding in a group and make new friends. For the avid cyclist used to longer distances and higher speeds, this is fun and friendly as a recovery ride.
As the temperature and daylight wanes in the fall, we switch things up with gravel grind rides on weekends.
Casual Town Rides
These casual rides are for adults of all ages and fitness levels, riding all kinds of bicycles. Explore the local bike lanes and paths through beautiful Dundas at a social, conversational pace. Aimed at the casual or newer rider, these rides are intended to be accessible to all interested adults riding a variety of bicycle types. Leaving the shop at 6:30pm every Wednesday, each ride lasts about 60 to 90 minutes. The ride is free but pocket money is recommended as the rides often feature a stop for treats at a local establishment. Yum!
Thursday Intermediate/Advanced MTB Rides
Fun times with fun people! PMBI certified ride leaders Tim Price and Jeremy Declerico lead these popular MTB rides on Thursday evenings. Often splitting into groups, there’s a comfortable pace for intermediate and advanced riders alike. And with designated ride sweepers, no one gets left behind. A fun way to explore the trails and increase your riding prowess, these shop rides are also fun way to catch up with old friends and make new ones. We keep the vibe alive with ‘après ride’ beers at a local restaurant.
- Winter Bike To Work Day: Make it a commute to remember on Friday February 9th! Freewheel Cycle will lead a group ride from the old Post Office in Dundas to the Winter Bike To Work Day festivities at Gore Park in downtown Hamilton. Hot coffee and gourmet donuts will be provided by event organizers Cycle Hamilton.
- Women’s Learn To Mountain Bike Clinic: Spend two days with our PMBI certified instructors to learn fundamental bike handling skills and how to use them on the trails. We will also look at women’s specific cycling products and basic bike maintenance.
- Discovery Rides: From May through August, Freewheel Cycle hosts a monthly series of fun, casual rides at a conversational pace. Discovering local breweries, visiting artists’ studios, historical tours and playful scavenger hunts are just some of the fun adventures to be had!
- Bike To Work Day: Monday May 28 is Bike To Work Day and the start of Bike Month. We will gather at Grafton Square across from Freewheel Cycle, and commute as a group to the Bike To Work Day event at Hamilton’s City Hall, utilizing the many bike lanes and bike paths along the way.
- Season Never Ends: The highlight event of the Dirt Girls calendar is this women’s focused mountain bike event. Guided group rides showcase our beautiful trail network for women visiting from outside the local area. Followed by a fun barbeque and tailgate party, it’s a great way to learn new trails, make new friends and embrace the changing seasons.
- Global Fat Bike Day: We team up with Turkey Point Mountain Bike Club in early December to toast the start of fat bike season. After a fun ride on the Turkey Point trails, we have a big fat tailgate party.
- Yuletide Bike Ride: Dundas is known for its festive spirit so what better way to take in the twinkling lights and holiday cheer than a bicycle ride, followed by a social with hot drinks and homemade goodies!