Freewheel Cycle is on the hunt for talented new recruits to join our awesome team of cycling gurus. Read on if you feel that you have something to contribute to our sales and/or service departments.
Please take a few minutes to review what we’re looking for before you apply. Once we receive your application, a manager will follow up with you if we need more information. Please note that no bike shop experience is necessarily required for sales applicants! Sometimes the best applicants come with an enthusiasm for bikes and our mission, but no shop experience. What is most important is that our sales team is ready and able to learn. Some degree of experience with customer service and/or retail however, is a requirement.
What we’re looking for in our applicants (and a little background on Freewheel Cycle):
- We have been in beautiful Downtown Dundas since 1992 and have a long history of activism and support for the greater Hamilton regional cycling community. Can you contribute to our history of excellence?
- We are recognized as a leader in providing bikes to women who ride. Can you help us support the women’s cycling scene in Southern Ontario?
- Cyclists in our region are blessed with an amazingly diverse range of cycling opportunities- road, mountain biking, paved path, rail trail, and dedicated urban cycle commute lanes. As an enthusiast shop Freewheel caters to nearly all of them. Can you commit yourself to helping clients find the right bike for their cycling needs and assure they have the most appropriate equipment?
- We are a fast-paced full-service bike shop. Can you switch gears quickly and help the dedicated mountain biker, the casual rider, the cyclocross fanatic, a cyclist parent shopping for a great bike for their child, and the road rider?
- We are the busiest shop in the greater Hamilton area. We are a Platinum Level Trek & Electra dealer. We are the region’s only Shimano Service Center and the sole shop that performs ALL Fox suspension service in-house. These brands are among the largest companies in the bike industry. They rely on us for excellence, quality and service. Can you meet their expectations?
- Must be detail-oriented. In general, bike shops do not attract organized, meticulous, detail oriented people. But we need them! Without them we would be lost. Our shelves wouldn’t be stocked, our customers would be stressed, and our displays would be a mess. If organization and a positive attitude are qualities you possess and you want to share them with us, we need you.
- Must have good customer service skills. Customer service is a constant challenge – you have to be ready to get creative and think on your feet, all while maintaining composure even on the busiest of summer days. Every rider’s needs are unique, and every purchase, large or small, is treated with importance.
- Must be a quick learner. There are a lot of product, sales process, and technical details to absorb, and once the season starts there’s not a lot of time to learn them. We provide the tools – training resources, knowledgable co-workers and managers, and training – but it’s up to you to take initiative and build your knowledge. Do you know and love bikes but the details intimidate you? Don’t be intimidated! If you start with a solid customer service base and a positive attitude, we can teach you.
In-season, a large part of our business happens on the weekends and weeknight evenings, so weekends and evenings are required for all staff. Full and part-time positions are available. We are an equal opportunity employer. Tardiness is not acceptable.
We want our customers to love their cycling experience. We have been in Downtown since 1992, and our mission has always remained the same: More people riding bikes and gear they love, more often. We believe there are already too many poorly purchased dusty bikes languishing in basements and garages. If you want to be part of a creative, high-energy team, please fill out our job application with as much information as possible. We look forward to talking with you!
Apply to join our sales team here:
We sell and assemble hundreds of bikes and repair thousands in a year in our world class bike repair shop. This means we work fast, but we always work carefully and hold ourselves to the highest standard. Our bike mechanics treat every bike as if it was there own. If you are focused, detail oriented, and efficient and you believe Freewheel Cycle is the place for you.
- Must have 2+ years of experience building or servicing bikes in a professional bike shop. Winterborne, United Bicycle Institute, or Trek Certified Service training / certification are a great asset. To apply for a bike assembly position or as a mechanic at Freewheel Cycle, experience is a must.
- Must have strong customer service/service writing skills. Our Repair Techs are often on the sales floor providing technical advice or performing repair intake duties so techs must be ready to interface with customers.
- Must be ready to service a broad range of bikes. Serving the greater Hamilton area bike community means we see all kinds of bikes and help all kinds of customers. It’s great to have a speciality and a dedicated area of interest, but all techs should be ready to work with whatever bikes come their way.
- Builders: must work quickly and produce consistent and high quality builds, ready to be ridden out the door.
In-season, a large part of our business happens on the weekends and weeknights, so weekends and evening shifts are required for all staff. Full and part-time positions are available. We are an equal opportunity employer. Tardiness is not acceptable.
Service is central to the success of our business. If you want to be a part of a dedicated and skilled tech team, please complete our tech application here: